This practical reference provides a single, concise source of current information on the diseases and conditions common among immigrants, refugees, travelers, and persons in contact with these populations in the developed world. An easy-to-use format makes this reference ideal for primary care and other providers in a variety of clinical settings. It also features content on agents that may be used as biological warfare.
- Diseases and conditions are arranged in alphabetical order for quick reference.
- Concise discussions of 93 infectious diseases and conditions of immigrants, refugees, travelers, and those in contact with these populations
- The ability to search by either signs and symptoms, geographic area, or diseases and disorders.
- A discussion on emerging infectious diseases and why they are an important health issue.
- An overview of the physical diagnosis of these diseases.
- Approaches to diagnosing newly arrived immigrants and refugees.
- Strategies for pre-travel counseling and immunizations.
- Information on primary geographic distribution, agent and vector, incubation, clinical findings and treatment, signs and symptoms, complications, common laboratory findings, diagnosis, differential diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and reporting.
- Bioterrorism boxes appear throughout the text to alert practitioners to biological warfare agent information.