Beyond Power Yoga presents and explores the complete journey of the classical astanga yoga system, from power yoga to meditation and liberation. Bender Birchs first book, the groundbreaking Power Yoga, introduced one level of astanga yoga to mainstream Americaa high-heat, high-energy mind/body workout. Now, Beyond Power Yoga presents all eight levels, or limbs, of this ancient methoda total practice for body and soul.
Drawing a parallel between astanga yoga's eight limbs and the mind/body energy centers (chakras) of Eastern philosophy, Bender Birch shows us how we can balance and heal our body, focus and relax our mind, amplify and direct our energy (prana), and ultimately reclaim our spiritual connection to Universal Consciousness. Each chapter offers specific practices to help the reader uncover and experience the insights of the astanga yoga journey.
- The YAMAS: Exploring the Fundamentals
- The NIYAMAS: Doing the Work
- ASANA: Practicing the Postures
- PRANAYAMA: Breathing Mindfully
- PRATYAHARA: Turning Inward
- DHARANA: Developing Concentration
- DHYANA: Experiencing Meditation
- SAMADHI: Living Joyfully